Gear West Race Wax Service
Training for a Cross Country Ski Marathon is hard enough. Save time and reduce stress by having your skis precision glide waxed by the best in the business! Race wax service is available for the 2022 American Birkebeiner/Kortelopet.
Gear West Race Wax Service is the best way to get your skis prepped by professionals while you can focus on the other things that make you go fast on race day. This year for our American Birkebeiner service, we have done extensive testing, on the new non-fluorinated race waxes from Swix. We will be using our experience to bring the best combination of waxes to your skis.
For Classic Skiers, we will also prep the kick zone and apply a binder layer. We will be testing waxes and application methods each day to keep up with the changing weather throughout the week. Race skis will be prepped each evening before race day.
In addition to the wax, we will be testing hand structure throughout the week and using our experience with hand structure to determine what each pair of skis needs as we prepare. Hand structure has become increasingly important for humid and wet conditions; we will be prioritizing this daily.
The service is available for both classic and skate skis. Please note, that for classic skis we apply only a kick base binder wax to the kick pocket. We will provide recommendations for kick and an area to apply wax at ski pick-up, but due to the wide variance in the amount of kick preferred, WE DO NOT APPLY KICK WAX.
- Skis must be scraped and brushed making them ready for race wax application. ALSO, the kick zones must be cleaned, sanded, and marked.
- The last day to drop off skis at Gear West is Sunday, February 20th, before 4:00 p.m.
- If you are not dropping off your skis at Gear West, we ask that you ship your skis to Gear West ahead of time. See shipping info below.
- Skis dropped off for service in Hayward will be charged $110 for skate and $120 for classic.
- Skis being drop-off in Hayward will need to be at the Gear West Mobile Van in the Hayward Middle School Parking Lot before
- Kortie - Thursday, February 24th before 3:00 p.m.
- Birkie - Friday, February 25th before 3:00 p.m.
- Race Morning ski pick-up for all Birkie & Korte races will be at Start Line Area.
We highly recommend that you pre-register online before the listed deadline. We are allowing on-site registration in Hayward during posted drop-off times. If we experience a large influx of on-site registrations, we may close registration at any time due to the high volume.
If you have any questions, please call us at 877-473-4327 or email email@example.com
Ship your skis ahead of time:
Attn: Birkie Wax Service
1786 W Wayzata Blvd, Suite B, Long Lake, MN 55356